The new DB28 Steel Wheels is all about transparency and light thanks to a dial providing stunning views of the mesmerizing movement architecture. In keeping with the design codes of its predecessors, it perpetuates the heritage of the maison: an ideal blend of daring aesthetics and exceptional mechanics.
Over the years, the DB28 has become a De Bethune classic. Interpreted in various contemporary iterations, from the “Skybridge” to “Kind of Blue,” it notably won the “Aiguille d’or” Grand Prix in 2011, the most prestigious distinction awarded by the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève.
This year, De Bethune takes center-stage by highlighting the original architecture of its movement with an exceptional timepiece: the DB28 Steel Wheels, issued in a limited edition of 25.
In unveiling the very heart of its horological expertise, De Bethune is revealing cutting-edge technology dedicated to serving art: a double self-regulating barrel ensuring a six-day power reserve, a signature De Bethune balance-spring with flat terminal curve, a silicon escape-wheel, a triple pare-chute shock-absorbing system, as well as a new even more high-performance titanium balance-wheel with white gold inserts.
The distinctive architecture of caliber 2115V4 is beautifully highlighted by the decision to trim down the mechanism, notably by openworking the barrels and ratchet wheels, as well as cutting out the heart of the central delta-shaped bridge. The latter is adorned with a “Côtes De Bethune” decoration, produced using the Microlight micrometric engraving technique developed by De Bethune. The entire movement thus creates the impression of levitating.
The ratcheted chapter ring inspired by gear-wheel toothing surrounds 12 polished spheres marking the hours and adding to the overall volume of the mechanism. The new hours hand, made of sapphire rimmed by blued steel, reveals the heart of the movement. Each detail of the anatomy of this new creation is thus open to view. The manufacture’s signature spherical moon composed of palladium and blued steel sets the perfect finishing touch to this magnificent vision. Appearing against its night-sky backdrop at 6 o’clock, it spins on its axis with such precision that it will take 122 years to accumulate a one-day discrepancy.
Like all the models in this collection, the DB28 Steel Wheels surprises observers by the light feel of its case, entirely crafted in titanium, and by the presence of De Bethune’s patented floating-lug system adjusting to wrist size and movements.
Powerfully mingling the graceful charm of daring beauty with the power of an exceptional mechanism, this horological work of art reflects the constant evolution of De Bethune creations in their most contemporary expression.
DB28 Steel Wheels
- Spherical moon-phase indication at 6 o’clock
- Power reserve situated on the back
- Mechanical hand-wound caliber DB2115V4
- Number of parts: 275
- Power Reserve: 6 days, ensured by a self-regulating twin barrel – De Bethune Patent (2016)
- “De Bethune” balance-spring with flat terminal curve – De Bethune Patent (2006)
- Spherical moon-phase indication accurate to a degree of one lunar day every 122 years – De Bethune Patent (2004)
- Triple pare-chute shock-absorbing system – De Bethune Patent (2005)
- Frequency: 28,800 vibrations per hour
- Handmade mirror-polished grade 5 titanium motion works bridge
- Barrels bridge decorated with De Bethune stripes and “microlight” engraving
- Openworked and hand sailed barrels
- Rhodium power reserve indicator background decorated with “De Bethune” circular graining
- Blued and engraved ring
- Sapphire crystal hour hand
- Chamfered and blued hour hand frame
- Spherical moon-phase indication in palladium and flamed-blued steel with an accuracy of one lunar day every 122 years at 6 o’clock – De Bethune Patent (2004)
- Performance indicator between 2 and 3 o’clock
- Dial: Hour ring in circular-grained titanium
- Polished grade 5 titanium
- Diameter: 42.6mm
- Thickness: 9.30mm
- Lugs: Short or long floating lugs in polished grade 5 titanium – De Bethune Patent (2006)
- Water resistance: 3 ATM