Roger Dubuis ‘releases the beast’ with the world premiere of the Excalibur Spider Carbon. This striking black and red model features a Spider-type skeletonized case with a DLC-treated crown, caseback and “container,” all made from titanium. The light yet sturdy material is teamed here with multi-layered carbon for the case, as well as vulcanized rubber on the container and red lacquer lighting up the bezel.
Even more importantly, it introduces the first-ever movement plate, bridges and tourbillon upper-cage entirely made in carbon. The result is a mainplate and case forming a ‘chassis’ that is rendered even lighter by this choice of material.
The honeycomb dial decor inspired by automobile radiator grilles creates a perfect high-tech background against which to highlight caliber RD509SQ, an ‘Astral Skeleton’ flying tourbillon movement beating at a rate of 21,600 vibrations per hour and benefiting from a 70-hour power reserve.
Such an amazing technical feat, further complicated by the skeletonized nature of the caliber, is made possible by the particularly rigid nature of this T700 carbon that results in less vibrations and enhanced precision.
Its ultra-thin layered structure, achieved by a sophisticated impregnation process, results in a number of useful properties. These include a uniform structure enabling 8% lower porosity compared with most other types of carbon, along with a substantial 30% reduction in weight that facilitates the rotation of the tourbillon upper-cage. The 10-degree-angled layers applied to the caliber plate and bridges call for a sophisticated production process and are a fine example of dedicating technical expertise to serving aesthetics.
Their purpose is to reproduce the same motifs on the movement as those appearing on the case middle. Gripping the wrist (and the imagination) with its strap featuring a rubber base and red Rubber Tech fabric-like inlay, firmly secured by a DLC-coated titanium folding clasp, the Excalibur Spider Carbon is issued in a 28-piece limited edition.
Limited edition of 28 pieces
- Diameter: 45mm
- Thickness: 14.02mm
- Multi-layered carbon case
- Multi-layered carbon bezel decorated with red lacquer
- Titanium-DLC crown vulcanized with red rubber
- Hand-wound caliber RD509SQ
- Certification: Poinçon de Genève
- Flying tourbillon at 7:30 (one rotation per minute)
- Seconds displayed by the tourbillon cage
- Black PVD honeycomb décor between the plate and the bridges
- Frequency: 3 Hz (21,600 vph)
- Power Reserve: 70 hours
- Skeleton upper flange in multi-layered carbon
- Red minute circle and Roger Dubuis transfers
- Luminous titanium screws for the hour markers
- Water Resistance: 50m
- Black rubber with red Rubber Tech fabric-like inlay and red stitching
- Clasp: Titanium DLC adjustable double folding clasp