LM101 WG PurpleReference# 52.WL.P
- Case: 18-karat white gold
- Size: 40 mm
- Movement: Three-dimensional horological movement developed in-house by MB&F
- Function: Hours, minutes and power reserve indicator.
- Power Reserve: approximately 45 hours
- Water Resistance: 30 m
- Dial: Purple dial with Large balance wheel suspended above the dial
- Caseback: sapphire crystal
- Strap/Bracelet: Hand-stitched strap, with white gold buckle
Back in 2014, after launching LM1 and LM2, the watchmaking world was probably expecting MB&F’s third Legacy Machine to be a complicated one. Instead, MB&F introduced LM101, which as its name implies focused on the essentials of mechanical watchmaking: the time of course, the power reserve, and – the real star of the show, the obsession of any watchmaker, the heartbeat of any mechanical watch – the escapement and balance wheel. But in true MB&F fashion, an unconventional, 3-dimensional “flying” balance wheel, which has become the signature of the Legacy Machine collection.
With a case diameter of 40mm, the LM101 is also MB&F’s most elegant Legacy Machine to date – their interpretation of the quintessential mechanical watch.
For several years, perhaps because the LM101 is more restrained than their other complicated Legacy Machines and anarchistic Horological Machines, MB&F crafted and sold only limited quantities of the LM101. However, demand from knowledgeable collectors has been slowly but steadily growing – culminating first in 2019 with an incredibly successful LM101 Palladium edition (all 18 pieces sold), and then last year with the LM101 MB&F x H. Moser collaboration: 60 pieces spoken for in a matter of days.
In 2021, MB&F presents three new LM101 editions, distinguished by subtle technical and aesthetic modifications: white gold with a striking purple dial, red gold with a handsome dark blue dial and – a rare occurrence at MB&F! – a stainless steel case, with a light blue dial.
These new editions focus even more on the essentials of mechanical watchmaking:
– The previous larger bezel and “Legacy Machine” engraving on the dial withdraw to highlight the time and power reserve, indicated on slightly larger subdials.
– The star of the show, the flying balance wheel, inherits the amazing double hairspring supplied by H. Moser & Cie.
– The finishing of the LM101 movement, at the time MB&F’s first caliber conceived in-house with the help of long-time Friend Kari Voutilainen, has been modified for these new editions with a contrasted dark “NAC” finish.