Chronométre FB 3SPC.1Reference# FB 3SPC.1
Availability: See the FB-3SPC at our 430 Park Avenue, NYC location
- Limited Edition: 25 timepieces per year
- Case: Round case, case and lugs in White Gold, fitted with two transparent sapphire portholes
- Size: 42.3 mm x 9.43 mm thick
- Movement: Mechanical with cylindrical balance spring, 21,600 VPH; Chronometer-Certified by the COSC
- Power Reserve: 72 hr
- Water Resistance: 30 m
- Dial: Openworked regulator plate (dial)Eggshell-coloured peripheral inner bezel ring for the hours and minutes, in sandblasted silver-toned brass •Eggshell-coloured seconds subdial at 6 o’clock, in sandblasted silver-toned brass •Sandblasted and 2N gilded visible components of Calibre FB-SPC
- Caseback: sapphire crystal, glare-proofed
- Hands: Facetted and skeletonised and open-tipped hours and minutes hands in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatment •Seconds hand with counterweight in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatement •Arrow-shaped power-reserve hand in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatement
- Strap/Bracelet: • Alligator leather strap – Various sizes available on request • 18-carat white gold pin buckle
Chronomètre FB 3SPC. – Officially chronometer-certified by the COSC
This new mechanical movement is based on a cylindrical balance-spring, a rare watchmaking speciality on which Ferdinand Berthoud himself worked. Calibre FB-SPC is the only one of its kind to satisfy the chronometric (precision timekeeping) criteria of the COSC: ISO 3159 certification.
The FB 3 collection draws its stylistic, technical and aesthetic inspiration from an exceptional creation: the No. 26 decimal watch, made in 1793 by Louis Berthoud and now on display within the Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud heritage collection in Fleurier.
Appearing at 9 o’clock, the three main escapement organs – the balance-wheel, pallet-lever and escape-wheel – are distinct and prominent. The cylindrical balance-spring to be seen beating throughout the three-day power reserve, including through a large water-resistant porthole created in the case middle at 9 o’clock.
The mainplate is placed at the heart of Calibre FB-SPC and the components are assembled on either side of it. On the dial side, a close-knit array of six bridges traces curves and lines directly inspired by the work of Louis Berthoud. They are echoed on the back by ten other bridges forming an intimately juxtaposed mosaic.
The indication of time is pared down to the absolute minimum: a peripheral inner bezel ring for the hours and minutes, and small seconds at 6 o’clock. At 2 o’clock, the power-reserve indicator is engraved in a sector graduated in 12-hour segments from “0” to “1”. The hours and minutes flange, shaped like an amphitheatre, extends vertically to the mainplate. The openworked and suspended seconds disc is secured from below to a dedicated bridge. The balance-bridge, with its distinctive screw-in heel shape, is a historical reference to Ferdinand Berthoud’s No. 3 astronomical watch. Positioned at 12 o’clock, the barrel bridge spanning a wide 120° angle recalls a bridge on the No. 2575 quarter-repeater watch made by Louis Berthoud.
The gold used in the production of Chronomètre FB 3SPC models stems from the ethical sourcing process instated by Karl-Friedrich Scheufele – President and Founder of Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud – at Chopard, of which he is also Co-President.
Production of the Chronomètre FB 3SPC is limited to 25 timepieces per year.