Reference 1741 PlatinumReference# 1741 Platinum
- Case: platinum
- Size: 41mm
- Movement: hand-wound manufacture P4 base movement
- Function: perpetual calendar, moon phase
- Power Reserve: approximately 60 hours
- Water Resistance: 30m
- Dial: handmade grenage on solid silver
- Caseback: sapphire crystal
- Hands: blued steel with solid-gold eye on the hour hand
- Strap/Bracelet: alligator leather
Grenage dials originated in the late 1800s. It is a dial making technique that is rarely used these days – and it’s easy to understand why. It requires such a delicate balance of skill, patience, and hours of concentration that most have abandoned grenage without a backward look – but we believe the end result is worth it.
It is a distinctively handmade process dial by dial. It is said the dial represents 80% of the watch, and we believe that makes it worthy of a hand-made approach.
Each dial begins with a plate of solid fine silver given ultra-fine engravings of numbers and markings. The engravings are hand filled with lacquer, and after hardening is diamond-paper-polished to leave its residue in the grooves.
The grenage layer is then built step by step as a secret mix of silver, salts and other ingredients is hand-brushed onto the individual dial. By electrochemical reaction, the surface emerges as a beautiful pearled finish; a silvery frosty surface with unique depth and granularity.