Rotonde de Cartier Mysterious Day & NightReference# WHRO0043NEWManufacturer's retail price: $67,000.00Compare
- Case: 18-karat white gold
- Size: 40mm
- Movement: hand-wound manufacture caliber 9982 MC
- Function: sun/moon retrograde hour, retrograde minute
- Power Reserve: approximately 40 hours
- Water Resistance: 30m
- Dial: silver with openworked top section
- Caseback: sapphire crystal
- Hands: blued steel sword-shaped minute hand
- Strap/Bracelet: alligator leather
The Rotonde de Cartier watch lends its generous dial to two historic Cartier complications: the mysterious movement and the day/night indicator. These two complications are part of Cartier’s watchmaking heritage. Both dating from 1912, the mysterious movement was created for the Model A mystery clock, while the day/night movement was part of the Comet clock (also known as the Planet clock).
Cartier now brings these two complications together for the first time in fine watchmaking: the sun, driven from left to right by the mysterious movement, appears to levitate in the top half of the dial, before handing over to the moon.
The sun and moon, two stylized heavenly bodies, in turn indicate the hours of the day and night when the retrograde minutes are displayed in the bottom half of the dial. This airborne reading of the time is magnified by the juxtaposition of the radiating guilloché and satin-brushed sunray finish on the dial.