Launched in 2012, the Datograph Up/Down is endowed with milestone technical features: A classic column-wheel control mechanism, a precisely jumping minute counter and a flyback function come together in a movement that showcases true engineering finesse.
The aesthetic quality of the caliber is reflected by the balanced dial layout with the characteristic Lange outsize date and the two subsidiary dials for the seconds and the minute counter forming an equilateral triangle.
The Up/Down attribute is standard Lange terminology for the power-reserve indicator. Up stands for the maximum power reserve of 60 hours when fully wound, while Down means that the energy of the mainspring has been depleted and the arrow enters the red zone of the indicator.
The black dial made of solid silver is embedded in either an 18-karat rose gold or platinum case each with a diameter of 41mm. Luminous hands and baton hour markers accentuate the systematic design concept.
The sapphire-crystal caseback allows many components to be observed in action, for instance those of the precisely jumping minute counter, which assures precise time measurement, or the column wheel that controls the chronograph functions. Composed of 451 parts, the L951.6 manufacture caliber unites all typical Lange quality hallmarks, such as the sturdy three-quarter plate made of untreated German silver, lavishly finished movement parts, a hand-engraved balance cock and four gold chatons secured with screws. These assets make this caliber one of the most seductive manifestations of A. Lange & Söhne’s competence in chronograph design.
- 41mm diameter
- 13.1mm height
- 18-karat rose gold or platinum
- Sapphire crystal caseback
- Lange manufacture hand-wound caliber L951.6
- Decorated and assembled by hand
- Plates and bridges made of untreated German silver
- Balance cock engraved by hand
- Approximately 60 hours of power reserve
- Time indicated in hours, minutes and subsidiary seconds with stop seconds
- Flyback chronograph with precisely jumping minute counter
- Power-reserve indicator
- Outsize date
- Hand-stitched alligator leather
- Prong buckle